Born Lorenz Otto Carl Amadeus Thadeus Maria Pius Andreas Marcus d’Aviano on 16th December 1955 in Belvedere Clinic, Boulogne-Billancourt, Hauts-de-Seine, France to Their Imperial and Royal Highnesses The Archduke and Archduchess of Austria-Este.
Robert, The Archduke of Austria-Este.
Margherita, Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este.
Archduchess Maria Beatrice Anna Felicitas Zita Charlotte Adelheid Christina Elisabeth Gennara of Austria-Este born 11th December 1954.
Archduke Gerhard Thaddäus Anton Marcus d’Aviano Maria Umberto Otto Carl Amadeus of Austria-Este born 30th October 1957.
Archduke Martin Carl Amadeo Maria of Austria-Este born 21st December 1959.
Archduchess Isabella Maria Laura Helena Antonia Zita Anna Gennara of Austria-Este born 2nd March 1963.
He attended primary and secondary schools in France.
He then did his military service in an Alpine fighter regiment of the Austrian federal army, and was promoted to reserve lieutenant in 1980.
He went on to study Economics at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland and the University of Innsbruck in Austria.
His engagement to Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium was announced on 13th May 1984.
The couple married on 22nd September 1984 first civilly by Hervé Brouhon, The Mayor of Brussels at the town hall in the ornate Grand Place and then religiously by Godfried Danneels The Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels at the Church of Notre-Dame au Sablon in Brussels, Belgium. They have five children.
Children and Grandchildren
1) Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este born (Amedeo Marie Joseph Carl Pierre Philippe Paola Marcus d’Aviano) 21st February 1986 at Saint Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert who married Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein born 9th September 1987 on 5th July 2014.
1) Archduchess Anna-Astrid of Austria-Este born 17th May 2016 in Brussels
2) Archduke Maximilian of Austria-Este born 6th September 2019 in Brussels
2) Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este born (Maria Laura Zita Beatrix Gerhard) 26th August 1988 at Saint Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert.
3) Prince Joachim of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este born (Joachim Karl-Maria Nikolaus Isabelle Marcus d’Aviano) 9th December 1991 at Saint Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert.
4) Princess Luisa Maria of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este born (Luisa Maria Anna Martine Pilar) 11th October 1995 at Saint Jean Hospital in Brussels.
5) Princess Laetitia Maria of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este born (Laetitia Maria Nora Anna Joachim Zita) 23rd April 2003 at Saint Jean Hospital in Brussels.
16th December 1955 – 10th November 1995; His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este.
4th December 1995 – 7th February 1996; His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este.
7th February 1996 – Present; His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Lorenz of Belgium, The Archduke of Austria-Este.
Line of Succession
Prince Lorenz of Belgium, The Archduke of Austria-Este
- Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este
- Archduke Maximilian of Austria-Este
- Prince Joachim of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este
- Archduke Gerhard of Austria-Este
- Archduke Martin of Austria-Este
35th Wedding Anniversary (2019)