Born Max-Emanuel Ludwig Maria on 21st January 1937 in Munich to Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Bavaria. He is the second and youngest son and fourth child of the couple.
He is The Heir Presumptive to The House of Wittelsbach and Titilar King of Bavaria. He has been heir since his older brother became Head of House on 8th July 1998. He is a Great Grandson of the last King of Bavaria.
He married Countess Elisabeth Douglas (born 31 December 1940), in a civil ceremony in Kreuth on 10 January 1967 and in a religious ceremony in Munich on 24 January 1967.
Children and Grandchildren
The couple have five children and 12 grandchildren;
1) Duchess Sophie Elizabeth Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967 in Munich), married on 3 July 1993 in Vaduz, Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein (born 11 June 1968 in Zürich), son of Hans-Adam II and Marie, The Prince and Princess of Liechtenstein, . They have four children:
1) Prince Joseph Wenzel Maximilian Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 24 May 1995 in London)
2) Princess Marie-Caroline Elisabeth Immaculata of Liechtenstein, Countess Rietberg (born 17 October 1996 in Grabs)
3) Prince Georg Antonius Constantin Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 20 April 1999 in Grabs)
4) Prince Nikolaus Sebastian Alexander Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 6 December 2000 in Grabs)
2) Duchess Marie-Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria (born 23 June 1969 in Munich), married on 27 July 1991 in Tegernsee, Duke Philipp of Württemberg (born 1 November 1964 in Friedrichshafen), son of Carl and Diane, The Duke and Duchess of Württemberg, They have four children:
1) Duchess Sophie Anastasia Assunta Marie Pauline of Württemberg (born 15 January 1994 in Munich), married on 15 September 2018 in Altshausen, Count Maximilien d’Andigné (born 19 March 1989), son of Count Hervé d’Andigné and Marie-Adélaïde de la Barre de Nanteuil
2) Duchess Pauline Philippa Adelheid Helena Marie of Württemberg (born 15 April 1997 in London)
3) Duke Carl-Theodor Philipp Maria Max Emanuel of Württemberg (born 15 June 1999 in London)
4) Duchess Anna Maximiliana Elizabeth Mariella Marie of Württemberg (born 1 February 2007 in London)
3) Duchess Helena Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in Bavaria (born 6 May 1972 in Munich)
4) Duchess Elisabeth Marie Christine Franziska in Bavaria (born 4 October 1973 in Munich), married on 25 September 2004 in Munich, Daniel Terberger (born 11 June 1967 in Bielefeld). They have two children:
1) Maximilian Ludwig Terberger (born 30 August 2005 in Bielefeld)
2) Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia Terberger (born 13 December 2007)
5) Duchess Maria Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julie in Bavaria (born 7 May 1975 in Munich), firstly married on 8 September 2007 in Munich, Klaus Runow (born 3 July 1964 in Duisburg), an investment banker. Their divorce was announced in early 2015. Maria-Anna secondly married on 16 October 2015, Baron Andreas von Maltzahn (born 1964), son of Mortimer von Maltzahn and Stephanie von Zedlitz und Leipe. She has two sons from her first marriage:
1) Heinrich Maria Leopold Maximilian Runow (born 3 May 2010 in Munich)
2) Johannes Emanuel Philipp Maria Runow (born 24 March 2012)
21st January 1937 – 5 November 1968; His Royal Highness Prince Max of Bavaria.
5 November 1968 – Present; His Royal HIghness Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria.
Line of Succession