Born Luitpold on 14th April 1951 at Schloss Leutstetten near Starnberg, in Bavaria to Their Royal Highness Prince Ludwig and Princess Irmingard of Bavaria. He is the oldest and only surviving son of the couple.
He is second in line to The House of Wittelsbach and Titilar King of Bavaria due to the fact that his cousin The Duke of Bavaria never married and his cousin Prince Max Duke in Bavaria has five daughter and succession to the House of Wittelsbach obeys Agnatic Succession laws.
His married Katrin Wiegand on 25th June 1979. The civil wedding took place at Starnberg and the religious ceremony took place a day later at the Andechs Abbey in Bavaria.
Children and Grandchildren
The couple have five children and four grandchildren;
1) Princess Auguste Marie Philippa (born 11 October 1979 in Landsberg am Lech). She married Prince Ferdinand of Lippe-Weissenfeld (born 5 September 1976 in Detmold), son of Prince Ferdinand of Lippe-Weissenfeld and Baroness Karoline von Feilitzsch on the 5th June 2010 at Andechs Abbey. They have two sons:
1) Prince Louis-Ferdinand of Lippe-Weissenfeld (born 16 September 2013)
2) Prince Carl-Philipp of Lippe-Weissenfeld (born 22 December 2015 in Starnberg)
2) Princess Alice Isabella Maria (born 25 June 1981 in Landsberg am Lech. She married on 29 August 2009, Prince Lukas of Auersperg (born 27 August 1981 in St. Pölten), son of Prince Andreas of Auersperg and Julia Rosemary Griffith. They have two children:
1) Princess Olivia of Auersperg (born 13 April 2013)
2) Prince Ludwig of Auersperg (born 8 April 2015)
3) Prince Ludwig Heinrich of Bavaria (born 14 June 1982 in Landsberg am Lech)
4) Prince Heinrich Rudolf of Bavaria (born 23 January 1986 in Landsberg am Lech), married on 22 April 2017 at Andechs Abbey, Henriette Gruse (born 26 December 1982), daughter of Bernd Gruse and Friederike Gruse
5) Prince Karl Rupprecht of Bavaria (born 10 March 1987)
14th April 1951 – Present; His Royal Highness Prince Luitpold of Bavaria.
Line of Succession